About this blog

YA book blog

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Review: Asylum by Madeleine Roux


13597728

Title: Asylum
Author: Madeleine Roux
Series: Asylum #1
Published: 2013 by Harper Teen

Blurb: 

Unlock the doors to the Asylum, but don't go into the basement. Some things are best left unseen... 
The summer programme at New Hampshire College is a chance for Dan Crawford to make friends. He might be staying in old asylum grounds rather than a new campus, but summer is definitely looking up. 
Until Dan and his new friends uncover disturbing images in their freaky summer home. Then Dan starts learning that curiosity kills... It's no coincidence they ended up at the ASYLUM. 


Review:

There is nothing wrong with mental hospitals. But there is something wrong with the word 'asylum'. They have always been known as a place that no one wants to go to. Mental hospitals are good. Asylums, on the other hand, have this creepy, dark edge. Before I read this, I had a feeling of dread but also curious anticipation.

Asylum is about Dan, who moves to New Hampshire College. He is looking forward to it. He imagines hanging out with friends who actually want to study. But on his arrival, he finds a disturbing photo in the drawer of his bedside table. His roommate tells there are similar ones in the basement. Curious, Dan and his new friends explore the basement, discovering numerous freaky pictures. 

Soon starts the strange messages, nightmares and emails that are not meant to be there. Something strange was going on.

I'd be lying to say I wasn't spooked. Surely, if a book actually made me scared, it should be a good book, right?

It wasn't totally the case with Asylum. The writing wasn't what actually scared me. Throughout the book were numerous black and white photos; they were what scared me. In fact, they were superb in creating a scary atmosphere. I would be reading, then I would flip the page, giving myself a heart attack. Some of the photos really were quite unsettling and freaky.

However, if the book was written without any photos, I would not exactly call it a good book. The plot was quite interesting. There was a mystery and I wanted to know the answer. It was enjoyable and suspenseful, that was, until the end. The end really disappointed me. There were too unanswered questions I guess that is why there is a sequel. Yet, I would have preferred it as a stand-alone.

The characters were not bad, but they weren't as finely crafted as they could have been. I didn't mind Dan. But his infatuation with Abby was annoying. He barely knew her, and he was considering on asking her on a date. Abby was quite an interesting character. I liked her. Jordan was hardly mentioned during the book. Maybe it was the author's fault, or perhaps Dan was acting like a douchebag, ignoring his friend. I would have liked knowing more about Jordan. 

It would have been better if the characters were more developed. Abby and Jordan lacked development, and Dan didn't mature in any way. If the characters were more well written, Asylum would be a pretty awesome book.

Asylum has a interesting story line and a fantastic setting. Those are worth reading. There is a sequel coming out. I am not too keen on reading it, but I still might read it to see if there is any character development.



No comments:

Post a Comment